This blog is like me.. Completely random. Music, fashion, photography, food, movies, books... Good luck following my crazy stream of consciousness!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quotations...

Recently I've been reading like a madwoman and I am obsessed with Goodreads. I love random quotations from intelligent people, so here are a few I found particularly interesting and/or amusing..


I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
- Oscar Wilde

Two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
- Robert A. Heinlein

It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
- JK Rowling


When in doubt tell the truth.
- Mark Twain


If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.

- Albert Einstein

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
- Groucho Marx
 

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
- Oscar Wilde


I really feel that we're not giving children enough credit for distinguishing what's right and what's wrong. I, for one, devoured fairy tales as a little girl. I certainly didn't believe that kissing frogs would lead me to a prince, or that eating a mysterious apple would poison me, or that with the magical "Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo" I would get a beautiful dress and a pumpkin carriage. I also don't believe that looking in a mirror and saying "Candyman, Candyman, Candyman" will make some awful serial killer come after me. I believe that many children recognize Harry Potter for what it is, fantasy literature. I'm sure there will always be some that take it too far, but that's the case with everything. I believe it's much better to engage in dialog with children to explain the difference between fantasy and reality. Then they are better equipped to deal with people who might have taken it too far.
- J.K. Rowling


Some Recommended Reading:
Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7)Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7) I just finished reading all of these...it was an excellent experience. (I know I'm a little behind in reading these, but if you haven't read them and love the movies, you should definitely read them at some point in your life.)
EntwinedEntwined Such a pretty book and a good grown-up fairy tale (review here)
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate)Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate)Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate), Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate), Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate), and Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate). SUCH a wonderful reading experience. I love these. Just the first one should get you hooked!

No comments:

.